Many home buyers and sellers think that the holiday season isn't the right time to be in the market. I say phooey! It's a great time for several reasons-
1) There are typically less homes on the market which means less supply for buyers, who are usually more serious, during the holiday season. Give yourself the advantage of buying or listing now, while there's less competition out there. Don't be like everybody else who waits until January 1st to make the leap.
2) Your home and neighborhood are looking their best with the holiday decorations in place, what a special time to buy a home. Who doesn't love ringing in the new year in a new home?
3) There are tax benefits to buying a home, taking advantage of a tax break before the end of the year is a great incentive to many buyers.
4) Faster closings and historically lower interest rates due to less overall transactions in the industry.
Last but not least...
5) Buying or selling now frees up your summer for more fun activities! Let everybody else waste their summer vacations house hunting/moving/selling while you enjoy yourself.
So, don't let the holiday season scare you off, the early bird gets the worm! There are so many benefits to getting in the game now.
I hosted my first Thanksgiving this past Friday. It was a bit intimidating at first, to be following in the footsteps of some excellent hosts who have way more experience in the kitchen than myself. But, I have to say, it went great! My husband smoked a turkey and a brisket on our Traeger grill, and I made garlic herb mashed potatoes in my slow cooker. They all came out DELICIOUS. Thanksgiving is a potluck type affair in my family, which makes it so much less stressful for the hosts, and it gives each household the ability to put their spin on the traditional Thanksgiving fare. It was so wonderful to welcome my family into our home and give back to the people who have given me so much throughout my life. Now that I've got one successful Thanksgiving under my belt I feel so much more confident to do it again. Maybe this will become our new tradition. :)
I'm starting to feel very festive as Thanksgiving nears. My neighbors put a pretty white Christmas tree up on their porch yesterday, and I was so tempted to follow suit and go into full force decorating myself. But, I refrained as I can't bear the thought of jumping over one holiday to get to another. There is so much to be thankful for this year and every year, and I cherish the one day a year we really focus on that.
This will be our first Christmas here in Orange County and I can't wait to enjoy all it has to offer. We are so lucky to have such beautiful, mild weather here during the winter. I think back to this time last year... I was freezing my buns off back in NYC! Brrrr! Today I was in flip flops and shorts, sweeping off my front porch, basking in the warm sunlight. What a lucky lady I am, what lucky people we are, to live in such a beautiful state! Here is a great list of holiday happenings here in Orange County, hope to run into you at one. :)